This course presents a holistic approach to Big Data, taking both a top-down and a bottom-up approach to questions such as: What is Big Data? How do we tackle Big Data? Why are we interested in it? What is a Big Data platform?
The course emphasizes that we study Big Data to gain insight that will be used to get people throughout the enterprise to run the business better and to provide better service to customers.
- Define and describe Big Data and its role in the corporate world
- Recognize the phases of development of a Big Data strategy within a corporation
- Explain the rationale underlying a holistic approach to Big Data
- Give examples of Big Data usage in areas such as sensor data, social media, science, and data warehouse augmentation
- Understand why a Big Data Platform is required to gbring together what would otherwise be separate silos of data and analytics
- Identify the importance of data governance for managing Big Data
- Outline the components needed in a Big Data Platform
- Compare and contrast the roles of: data-at-rest processing, data-in-motion processing, data-warehouse processing, and contextual search
Part Time/Full Time:
- Basic knowledge of operating systems (UNIX/Linux)