Learn Everything About AutoGPT in 2 Minutes!
Imagine this scenario: every day, you need to reach the office on time. Do you prefer to book a cab each time you need to go, or would you rather have a scheduled cab that arrives at the same time every day so you don’t have to worry about cab availability? It’s clear that the second option is more appealing. The same applies to all activities that can be automated. Automation simplifies our job and makes us feel comfortable. And this is exactly what AutoGPT does!
Today, in the era of Generative AI, Large Language Models (LLMs) have achieved intelligence that is on par with humans. In some cases, it outperforms us as well. They have the ability to understand the human language and respond accordingly. With the current power of LLMs, they can write code and design a macro automatically. All we need to do is provide a natural language instruction to the LLM. Leveraging the power of LLMs, developers have now created an experiment to automate tasks. That’s AutoGPT.
In this blog, we are going to learn about AutoGPT and how it works. We will also see its features and the kind of problems it can solve. Finally, we will learn to install and set up AutoGPT on local systems and try out a cool experiment.
Table of Contents
What Is AutoGPT?
AutoGPT is an experiment done by developers to automate tasks or a series of them. It is powered by GPT 4/GPT 3 – an advanced Large Language Model (LLM). It takes the knowledge of LLM to understand the task, creates a plan to achieve the task, and then integrates the logic to execute these tasks. The entire experiment is written in Python programming language.
All you need to do is prompt a task to complete it. For example, if I prompt AutoGPT to install Python in my system. It can actually install Python in my system. Amazing right?
It first creates a list of subtasks involved in the task. The first step is to check if Python is already installed in my system. This is followed by figuring out the steps involved in installing Python in a system and then finally executing the steps.
I don’t have to manually browse the website, download the .exe file, and install it in my system. AutoGPT can do it for me automatically. Cool right? This is why AutoGPT is known as an ‘Autonomous AI Agent’.
What Is the Difference Between ChatGPT and AutoGPT?
You are lagging behind if you are still using ChatGPT. It’s time to learn about the latest innovation – AutoGPT. But before understanding what AutoGPT is, we need to understand what ChatGPT can do.
In simple terms, ChatGPT is a chatbot that is capable of generating relevant responses to the input you provide. The input is provided in a natural language description known as a prompt. For example, if I prompt ChatGPT to “write a python code to print first 100 prime no.s”, it responds with the code to do the task.
But, if I tell ChatGPT to install Python in my system, it will provide me with the steps to install the program. But that’s not what I needed.
Wouldn’t it be better if I had a process set up that could follow and execute these instructions? i.e., actually install the Python in my system?
Meet AutoGPT – An Autonomous Agent!
How Does AutoGPT Work?
AutoGPT in itself is not a model! It is an experiment. The core working model behind the AutoGPT is GPT-4/GPT-3. It’s an experiment trying to automate the tasks leveraging the power of LLM. It puts together the list of thoughts from the LLM and executes it. So, mostly, the work is around programming and implementing the logic to execute the thoughts from the LLM.
Let’s understand this with the help of an example. In the case of Python installation, the logic has been implemented to browse the Python website, download the Python file into the system, and then run the file. As you can see, there is no rocket science here! The actual work is done around writing a Python code to execute the actions.
Remember that AutoGPT cannot automate every task that you provide. It has integrated the most common features like browsing the website, searching on Google, etc., and can automate the tasks involved around this. Let’s explore the features of AutoGPT in the next section.
What Are the Features of AutoGPT?
AutoGPT has access to multiple features. Here are the most popular ones:
- Run Code: Auto GPT can run code on your system and even fix the code and optimize it. It can also download and install the libraries required to run the code. For example, I have done an experiment to optimize the following Python code. AutoGPT actually tried different versions of the code and executed and tracked the time intervals for each version. Finally, it saved the best-optimized code into the system.
- Search on Google: AutoGPT can browse the information on Google. It uses Google API to search on Google. So you need to configure your Google Account API credentials into the AutoGPT to use this feature.
- Browse Website: AutoGPT has the ability to explore websites and find the information you need. It can navigate through multiple web pages to gather relevant data.
- Web Scraping: AutoGPT can extract data from websites through web scraping. It can gather the necessary information based on the specific task you want to complete.
- Read and Write Files: AutoGPT has the ability to both read from and write to files, unlike ChatGPT. As a Data Scientist, you may desire ChatGPT to read data from a CSV file and generate insights for you. Unfortunately, this is not possible with ChatGPT. Therefore, we had to manually copy and paste sample rows for analysis. However, AutoGPT addresses this limitation by allowing you to instruct it to read data from a specific file and generate insights accordingly.
- Search on Twitter: AutoGPT can link with Twitter and collect relevant data. To enable this functionality, you must set up your Twitter API credentials.
Pros and Cons of AutoGPT
AutoGPT is undoubtedly a successful experiment to make a fully autonomous agent. It is impressive as it’s an autonomous agent capable of doing tasks automatically. It has several features integrated into it. Remember that it can automate tasks involving these features only. You can build your own features and integrate them into Auto GPT.
However, AutoGPT comes with some cons as well.
- It can sometimes run in an infinite loop forever. This is really frustrating!
- It is expensive as it relies on Open AI models. You need to have an Open AI API key to run AutoGPT.
- It might go wrong with the facts and may sometimes produce incorrect information, similar to ChatGPT.
How to SetUp and Install AutoGPT?
Time needed: 15 minutes
Setup and install AutoGPT using following steps.
- Step 1: Install Python 3.10 or later.
You can download it from here.
- Step 2: Install Docker and set it up.
You can get it from here. Once the installation is successful, initiate the docker by clicking on the docker application.
- Step 3: Download the AutoGPt source code.
Download the source code from the latest stable version of AutoGPT here. You can find the source code at the end.
- Step 4: Find the file named .env.template in the main Auto-GPT folder. Create a copy of the .env.template and rename it to .env.
- Step 5: Create the OpenAI API key from here.
- Step 6: Go to the .env file in the AutoGPT folder. Set up the OPEN_API_KEY with your OpenAI API key in the .env file.
- Step 7: Go to your command prompt, redirect to the AutoGPT folder, and install the libraries from the requirements.txt file.
pip install -r requirements.txt
- Step 8: Run the following command to build the image from the docker. This will take some time to set it up.
docker-compose build auto-gpt
- Step 9: AutoGPT setup is successful. You can now run the following command to run AutoGPT. It will run the agent in continuous mode without waiting for authorization from the user. It keeps running till the task is achieved.
docker-compose run –rm auto-gpt –gpt3only –continuous
Note: If you want to enable Google Search or Twitter Search, you need to copy the Google Console API key and Twitter API key in the .env file.
That’s all for today! In this blog, we learned about Auto GPT and understood its working. We have also seen its many features and the kinds of problems it can solve. Finally, we even went through AutoGPT setup and installation steps on a local system. AutoGPT is just a start to autonomous agents, and you can expect multiple such agents in the upcoming days.
Feel free to comment below in case of any queries or suggestions. I will get back to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
A. AutoGPT is a fully autonomous agent powered by GPT-4/GPT-3.
A. AutoGPT can be used for solving various tasks. For example, as a data scientist, I can use AutoGPT to build different models for my dataset. It can run different models automatically and save the best model for inference.
A. AutoGPT can be installed easily on the local system or Google Colab. The prerequisites for the setup are >=python 3.10 and docker.
A. AutoGPT uses OpenAI LLMs APIs behind the hood. Hence, a paid account is required to use it.
A. AutoGPT is safe until you use it on non-sensitive data. I would recommend you be very cautious about the data you share with it.