21 Reason why you should NOT become a Data Scientist
Time for some Friday Fun!
In last few years, the growth of Data Scientists has been following the growth in data . You can see it all around – people attending webinars, info sessions, undergoing multiple certifications and what not!
While everyone is going North, I thought Friday is a good time to take a moment and head South!
Here is my list of 21 reasons why not to become a Data Scientist. If you have a few others to add, please do so!
1. Trump: When every data scientist in the world got it wrong!
If no one could predict such a macro phenomena, how would they know who is going to buy what?
2. At times you’ll get it horribly wrong. Did I just say ‘wrong’? Epic FAILURES!
Remember the Twitter bot from Microsoft? She started saying great things about Hitler with 1 day of training on live data.
3. Ever participated in Kaggle? This is how I feel when you have to spend days getting that small increase in the 5th decimal place.
Not to mention the days when I don’t get even a slight increase in my scores irrespective of what I try.
4. And in case, I got awesome results from a black box model – this is how it feels!
I have no clue what happened.
5. Torture the data and it’ll confess what you want it to.
At times, you can use data to create any point you want!
6. Why study so many algorithms when XGBoost always does the trick for you!
7. Automation! My job is to make machines replace me.
Who on earth in sane mind wants that?
8. I must learn the languages that are going to pass out in
10 5 years anyway.
Or at times the ones, which many people have not even heard of!
9. Looks like I’m the only one who calculates the p-value of getting an increment everyday.
10. I get bashed by the CEO daily while everybody stands and watches.
What people don’t realise is that I’m the only person whom they take advice from!
11. Nothing is impossible until you start to explain Data Science at a social gathering.
12. Human thinking ends at 3-D. My work starts at 100-D.
13. Carrying cool laptops is a dream. Carrying servers is a necessity.
14. Only god knows the future. Whom am I to predict.
15. Astrologers have been doing it for years.
16. Why spoil weekends over a hackathon/competition? Coldplay?
17. I am expected to teach domain expertise to domain experts.
Source: France Etiquette Limited
18. Any my expertise depends on where I’m giving the interview.
19. Don’t doubt me. Alternative hypothesis stands true!
20. No one knows who a Data Scientist is?
But everyone is searching for one!
21. The world is a strange place. And believe me, it’s not at all like what you think.
Disclaimer: This is just a fun take on life as a Data Scientist. We don’t intend to hurt any sentiments or endorse any products / services mentioned above. We truly believe, data science is here to stay, else we would not have bet our careers on it 🙂
I hope you enjoyed reading this article as much as I did while writing it. If you are a data scientist, you will definitely relate to some of the points above. Which one did you relate to the most? Also, any point you think we missed in this list?
Share them with us in the comments below.