Kunal Jain — October 24, 2013
Business Analytics Business Intelligence Intermediate Resource Web Analytics

One of the best part about being in Analytics industry is the opportunity (and need) to continuously learn new things and upgrade yourself.

I am sharing list of training recommendation which I have undergone recently or am in process of undergoing. Each of these trainings have helped me with my Analytics learning and have helped me become a better analyst.

training recommendations

Computing for Data Analysis – Coursera:

I have used SAS for most of my Analytics career and had wanted to learn R for some time. I had downloaded it multiple times in past, but had struggled to get past initial stages. Finally, this course from John Hopkins University came to rescue.

A great starting course for R, which has left me with confidence of using R more often.

Tableau tutorials:

Another tool which I wanted to learn was Tableau. I have used Qlikview extensively for some time now, and hence I wanted to try out Tableau. While the tool is pretty user friendly and has great visualization capabilities, my favourite feature was how quickly it can perform geo-spatial visualization. The tool comes with in-build capabilities to recognize city and state names (I have been informed that this works till Tehseel level in India – impressive!) and you can map them in a matter of seconds.

Here is the link to tutorials which are provided on Tableau website. I had watched them selectively and found them useful.

Social Network Analysis – Coursera:

While I had used some tools here and had done some amount of reading on social network analysis, this course starts from basics of social networks and leaves you by providing understanding of Facebook and Twitter are using these techniques to understand their users better.

Good first course on Social network, which has left me wanting for more. I am hoping that i’ll be able to join Probabilistic Graphical Models (run on Coursera) as a follow up to this course.

Market Motive:

I plan to sign up for Web Analytics course from Market Motive in next couple of weeks. It comes at a higher cost than the trainings mentioned above. However, I have heard some great reviews about this course from people who have took it.

Will keep you posted on how it comes through.

Have you undergone any training recently and would want to recommend it? Please feel free to add them in comments below.

If you like what you just read & want to continue your analytics learning, subscribe to our emails or like our facebook page.

About the Author

Kunal Jain

Kunal is a post graduate from IIT Bombay in Aerospace Engineering. He has spent more than 10 years in field of Data Science. His work experience ranges from mature markets like UK to a developing market like India. During this period he has lead teams of various sizes and has worked on various tools like SAS, SPSS, Qlikview, R, Python and Matlab.

Our Top Authors

• Analytics Vidhya
  • Guest Blog
  • Tavish Srivastava
  • Aishwarya Singh
  • Ram Dewani
  • Faizan Shaikh
  • Aniruddha Bhandari

Download Analytics Vidhya App for the Latest blog/Article

7 thoughts on "Analytics training recommendations from last 2 months"

Shaifali Agrawal
Shaifali Agrawal says: December 05, 2013 at 5:28 pm
Please can you suggest some books also for data analytics with bifurcation for bigners and non bigners. Reply
Kunal Jain
Kunal Jain says: December 11, 2013 at 6:33 pm
Shaifali, Please find the following articles, which might be of help to you: 1. Business Analytics 2. Web Analytics 3. Data Visualization Let me know if you have any specific need. Kunal Reply
Shaifali
Shaifali says: December 14, 2013 at 3:20 pm
Hey Kunal I being new to this field, searching for books that will provide me a basic approach to deal with data, like before analysis data is expored which includes data cleaning, removing noise, normalisation etc; then it is minied in which different hidden patters are identified, data is classified and much more then it is put to analysis to get answer of desired question/problem; right? There are many pre defined methods/algorithms exists for all these tasks for example z-score test for normalization, k-means for classification etc. Having only Top level knowledge of this field I want books that have describtion of all/many such algorithms used in whole process with thier pros and cons so that one can choose which fits best for which problem. Reply
Kunal Jain
Kunal Jain says: December 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm
This one is the best fit for what you might require: "A practitioners Guide to Business Analytics" You can refer to following discussion for more suggestions: http://www.linkedin.com/groupAnswers?viewQuestionAndAnswers=&discussionID=263084784&gid=35222&commentID=159272284&trk=view_disc&fromEmail=&ut=2Llr0hv9wrRm01 Reply
Shaifali
Shaifali says: December 21, 2013 at 3:08 pm
Thanks! Reply
Dinesh Changrani
Dinesh Changrani says: March 12, 2015 at 10:53 am
Mr. Kunal, I want to ask whether BA or BI requires an understanding of probability or calculus or some such mathematical concepts that are feared by most people? I am an ordinary Commerce graduate. Do I have any chance of making it good in this field? If yes, kindly suggest how I do I begin considering that I am working presently and looking for a change in career. How do I take the first step? Awaiting your guidance. Thanks. Reply
Kunal Jain
Kunal Jain says: March 31, 2015 at 8:49 am
Dinesh, BA requires understanding of such as statistics, economics, operation research and computer science. BI requires a sound knowledge of statistics, MS excel, VBA and dashboards. Before getting started in Analytics, you can read the below mentioned article for details: 1. “How to start a career in Business Analytics?” 2. “All you need to know to start a career in analytics”. You are from Commerce background. You can do well in Analytics, if you put more efforts to learn about Analytics. At the initial stage, I would recommend learning SAS. You can look at our SAS learning path. You can also approach free online trainings or join an institute. Regards, Kunal Reply