Here is an exotic opening – Avery Dennison is looking for a scientist, who is a subject matter expert in one or more areas of chromatography, spectroscopy, thermal analysis, and imaging & surface science. The Analytical Scientist should have in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with various analytical instruments used in the coatings, adhesives, films and papers industries.
Designation – Analytical Scientist
Location – Pune
About employer – Avery Dennison
About Avery Dennison
Avery Dennison is a global leader in labeling and packaging materials and solutions. The company’s applications and technologies are an integral part of products used in every major market and industry. With operations in more than 50 countries and more than 26,000 employees worldwide, Avery Dennison serves customers with insights and innovations that help make brands more inspiring and the world more intelligent. Headquartered in Pasadena, California, the company reported sales from continuing operations of $6 billion in 2012.
The Analytical Scientist will implement analytical and materials science capabilities within Avery’s Global Innovation Center in Pune, India. The scientist will be an instrumental and subject matter expert in one or more areas of chromatography, spectroscopy, thermal analysis, and imaging & surface science.
The Analytical Scientist is dedicated to the further growth of Avery Dennison in India and globally through the deployment of new and improved materials science and analytical capabilities. This individual will be instrumental in building analytical technical depth in the Global Innovation Center in India and will lead analytical/materials science discussion and evaluation of new techniques with internal and external partners.
This person will strive to position the Global Innovation Center in India as a leading analytical & materials science resource for the whole of Avery Dennison.
The Analytical Scientist will have in-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with various analytical instruments used in the coatings, adhesives, films and papers industries. This individual will also possess strong skills in problem solving, data analysis & interpretation, and strong communication skills, both verbal and written. This role will be based in Pune, India but will require regular and extensive interactions with Avery Dennison analytical centers in US, Europe and China.
- Run and maintain analytical instruments, collect data, interpret data, develop test methods
- Interact and interface with internal and external customers to provide problem solving, failure analysis, materials science data and understanding
- Standardize and implement test and analysis methods within R&D
- Interface with the equipment supplier base to select and specify the instruments for purchase and keep abreast of new developments in the analytical field
- Perform benchmarking of existing Avery products and competition products
- Develop database of material ageing performance and develop predictive correlations of ageing behaviour
- Issue test and analysis reports
- Interface with global analytical community in Avery to share best practices and learning and leverage capacity
- Develop customized test methods for specific product applications
- Act in a manner consistent with Avery Dennison leadership principles
Qualification and Skills Required:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in engineering or science
- 5-10 years industrial experience with expertise in operating an analytical instrumentation.
- Experience with thermal analysis (DSC, TGA, Rheometer), chromatographic techniques (GPC, GCMS, HPLC), spectroscopy (FTIR), surface science (contact angle, zeta potential), and imaging techniques (SEM, optical microscopy)
- Materials and product knowledge. Preferable to have some knowledge of Labeling, Identification, Decoration and Graphics materials and components (adhesives, films, paper, coating, printing, converting, packaging materials)
- Highly developed collaboration capability – working through matrices while driving project execution
- Strong communication skills are a must; should have good verbal, written and presentation skills to technical and non-technical personnel
- Willingness to learn and be customer facing
- Creative problem solving
- High degree of ingenuity and creativity
- Reliable discussion partner with internal and external customers
- Effective project mgmt (timelines etc.)
- Sense of urgency
- Domestic and international travel (10-20%) will be a requirement
Interested candidates can apply for this job at this PAGE.